Tuesday 23 June 2015

Helmsdale to Kirkhill near Inverness

post signature

This was not a particularly eventful day, and involved a lot of unpleasant cycling down the A9, traffic hurtling past. But at least it wasn't raining, and I had a favourable tail wind. I wasn't in the mood for interviewing anyone. The previous day's ride had left me tired physically and mentally, and my butt was sore. Retrospectively, I wish I had interviewed people; like the bodyguard from Brora, who had moved from East London twelve years previously, after leaving the forces, to buy a dilapidated hotel. "It's a work in progress" he told me; and I could certainly see why. He supplied me with two monster energy drinks, something I'd never normally consume. They left my teeth zinging! Then there was Diana in Golspie, who gave me a donation for the charity, Sue in Invergordon who stopped to chat, and a Spanish couple from Catalonia, off a huge cruiser moored in the Moray Firth. I don't know what it is about the penny farthing, but it seems to bring out the best in people. In each town and village people of all ages stop and chat, and wish me well; and on the road people wave, give me the thumbs up, laugh and smile, or slow down in order to take pictures or movies. I stopped at one house to ask for directions in the evening, and was asked if I'd like accommodation. I can't imagine that happening on a conventional bike.

Yesterday, I cycled far further than originally intended. This was in large part due to the fact that the Cromarty ferry wasn't running, and I wasn't able to camp at Nigg hotel. So late afternnon I pushed on to Kirkhill near Inverness, arriving at dusk. I stayed with some unicyclists, Alan and Lori. Alan is particularly keen, and has unicycled across the world.

So, with little to report, I thought I might say something about riding a penny. I get asked a lot how I get up on to the saddle, and how I get down. Well both are easy; there's a small step at the rear of the bike. You hold the handle bars, put your foot on the step, and push off, standing as you do so, and jumping into the saddle. Getting down is the same, but in reverse. Another question I get asked a lot, is if it is 'wobbly' sitting up so high. The answer is 'no,' it's absolutely no different to a conventional bike, only a lot higher.

The wheel on a penny is fixed, meaning there are no gears, and that pedalling backwards is the only way of braking. This can present problems. I can freewheel down hills, providing they are not to steep, by letting the pedals spin round without my feet on them. However, the front wheel can go into a speed wobble! And I have to be very cautious about when I freewheel, judging when the road levels out and the steepness of the incline. So, I can't freewheel around bends downhill, as I can't see what lies ahead. Twice now I have lost control, hurtling at speed down hill, holding the handlebars as tight as I can - trying to prevent too much wobble - hoping and praying I don't meet a junction. There's absolutely no way of regaining control. Just as a matter of interest, the record for cycling from end to end on a penny farthing is just over five days. This was achieved by the phenomenal cyclist George Pilkington-Mills (1867-1845) at the age of eighteen. I'll attempt breaking that record next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for following my blog and supporting Cycling witout Age. Warmest wishes John